Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lucca

3449 NE 24th
http://luccapdx.com/
Happy Hour Tuesday-Friday 2:30-5 p.m.


It's been a long time since I have done a Happy Hour review! I have a few backlogged that I need to catch up on, but I figured I would start with the most recent one...since I am sitting here eating the leftovers as I type! Why the long absence from Happy Hour? Well, for one thing, I have been busy with work...but also Happy Hour is a little less happy when you can't drink alcohol! I am very, very happy to be abstaining, though, because I am pregnant. :) (That beer in the picture belongs to my husband).


Happy Hour at Lucca is an early one, but it worked out fine for us since it is spring break. I do wonder if it would be busier if it ran a little longer. In any case, both my husband and I really enjoyed it. Although the food was slightly more expensive than a typical Happy Hour, the big portions made it a good value--and it made it dinner for us, which is my favorite kind of Happy Hour. We started with the skillet crisped potatoes ($4). These were really, really good! Soft and flavorful, they reminded us of a recipe my husband makes from the Pioneer Woman, hot crashed potatoes. These were even better, though, because of the spicy aioli dipping sauce. It had a smoky flavor, and even the potatoes seemed to be flavored with something extra special (definitely NOT rosemary, my least favorite herb).


I believe the wood-fired pizza is the full-size, for a discounted price ($9). These are probably big enough that you could share one and just get an appetizer or salad, but my husband is a big eater, and my baby is HUNGRY all the time, so we each got our own. I got the funghi pizza, which had all kinds of mushrooms and truffle oil. I was really enjoying it until I traded a piece with my husband. He got the salsicce and added an egg for an added charge of $1.50. His pizza was definitely the star of the table--it had house-made fennel sausage and a tomato base. I was seriously jealous. I didn't try the egg, but he said it was great. My pizza was great, too, don't get me wrong, but I will get the salsicce next time!


Now if I were drinking, they had something for every type of drinker; beer, wine, well drinks, and cosmos and lemon drops are all on special during Happy Hour. 

Service was also great--our server was on top of things (he offered me refills twice), he was friendly and genuine, and everything came out quickly without feeling rushed. Both of us left feeling exactly as you should after a good Happy Hour--like we wanted to come back again!

Food: Exceeds
Drinks: Meets
Service: Exceeds
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

--E


Lucca on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment