Sunday, March 03, 2013

My Brother's Crawfish

8220 SE Harrison Street
Happy Hour: Monday through Friday 3 - 6PM, Friday and Saturday 10 - 11PM, Sunday ALL DAY


My Brother's Crawfish is not exactly easy to find. It's on a busy street (the address says Harrison, but really it's on SE 82nd), but it's tucked away just enough that most people probably don't even know it's there. Even with a map and driving directions, I most definitely looked foolish as I circled around the parking lot looking at all of the store names. It seemed to take forever, but that's just because I had already parked on Harrison and was circling on foot. That, and the store name isn't complete. I was looking for My Brother's Crawfish, but from the front this place is just Crawfish.


It's not just crawfish on the menu, though, if that's what you're worried about. I was able to sample all sorts of snackable foods from the happy hour menu (plus a little from the regular menu) and I am a no-meat-no-fish-no-eyeballs kind of vegetarian. If you are okay with the eyeballs, though, you should most definitely try one of their seafood boils. It seemed that everyone around us was enjoying a big bowl of steaming crawfish, crab, clams, corn, potatoes, or shrimp. They have Po Boys and blackened catfish, Etoufee too...but it's the seafood boils that they specialize in. And the crawfish comes all the way from Louisiana. It's kind of a messy meal (or so the rolls of paper towels delivered with each boil led me to believe) so be prepared. No first dates, I say. Play it safe.



I knew walking in the door that I was ready for one of their pint-sized Hurricanes. They are super sweet, as always, but oh-so delicious. I spent ten days in New Orleans a couple of summers ago and ever since then, I've been a bit of a Hurricane girl. I refuse to learn the recipe, though. It could only lead to trouble. The five-dollar price tag during happy hour could also lead someone to trouble...so please, please, please plan ahead.


We doubled up on fried foods, ordering two plates of both the sweet potato fries and the fried green tomatoes. The breading on the tomatoes had more cornmeal than I would have preferred, but it gave every bite a pretty good crunch. The sauce (some sort of aioli, I am sure) was a perfect accompaniment with just a hint of spice.


The sweet potato fries were better than the ones I can make at home, which is probably why I felt the need to order a second plate. (Plus, we were sharing.) I absolutely LOVE sweet potato fries. These ones could have used a touch more salt and maybe something for dipping. It wasn't a requirement, though. Just something extra that would have added that special touch, you know.



I also ordered a piece of corn bread (I couldn't resist) and a side of coleslaw. The coleslaw is house-made and looked to be as dry as could be. It was not, thankfully. The sauce had just worked its way to the bottom. A quick stir and it was delicious. So good, really. I love cabbage, it's true, but I have a feeling that even the cabbage-hesitant people would appreciate the crispness that this dish had to offer.


The only dish I didn't get to taste (by choice, of course) was the dirty rice. It was the perfect size for a four dollar food item and came topped with plenty of fresh veggies.


Service was good, too. No one seemed to mind that we all showed up at different times. Or that we all wanted separate checks. It's obvious that this is a family-run business. And that even those working who might not be blood relatives, have grown to really give it their all to make this place a success.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


My Brother's Crawfish on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. My boyfriend got the groupon deal for this place last summer and we both dorked and didn't use it in time! I was bummed it expired because it sounded like a great place. I still want to try it, especially seeing the pictures of your cornbread.....!

    ReplyDelete