Tuesday, March 26, 2013

New Thai Blues

4147 SE Division
Happy Hour: still in the works

New Thai Blues doesn't have a happy hour, yet. It's obvious that they are working on it, though. Just like they are working on new outdoor seating, new decor, and maybe even a little new construction. We actually watched a man (the owner, I'm assume) break out his power tools to hang a few items.


Just because they don't have happy hour didn't mean I was about to get up and walk out, though. That's not my style. Instead, we ordered off of the appetizer list. And since I hadn't had one in forever, I ordered a Thai Iced Coffee. They did have house drinks listed at just 6 bucks each...but the coffee was calling my name. (So was the mango and sticky rice, but I stayed strong on that one.)


Thai iced coffee is always a special treat. It is ridiculously sweet and has just a smidge more cream (or maybe it's half and half) than I'm used to. I love the appearance on delivery (how it is served in every Thai restaurant I've ever been to) and am always a little sad to stir out the smokey lines of cream. But to really enjoy it, I must. I loved every sip. Every single sip.


The appetizer list had a number of intriguing items listed--including pumpkin tempura and deep fried tofu. I'm excited to see what of the menu makes it on the list of discounted items during happy hour. Since we were making the most of the day (with plans to hit up more than one happy hour), we played it safe and ordered a single plate of salad rolls.


These were well done and came with more filling options than I'm used to seeing. Four to be exact. I have only ever had them with tofu, of course, but it was nice to see that they had shrimp and chicken on the menu too. Plain veggie, too, in case you aren't a fan of tofu. All are rolled with crisp veggies and come served with a thick peanut sauce.

We were the only seated customers at New Thai Blues--which worried me just a little--but walking back to my car after spending more time on Division I noticed that the place had filled up. Hopefully their happy hour--when it officially gets going--is a successful one. I will have to stop back in. And if it's the right kind of day, I can take advantage of the new outdoor seating.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Exceeds

-b


New Thai Blues on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't wait to try some of these places on my upcoming food exploration of Portland's food scene.

    ReplyDelete