Sunday, March 31, 2013

Southland Whiskey Kitchen

1422 NW 23rd Avenue
Happy Hour: 3:30 - 6 and 10 - close, daily


A new favorite! Almost everything on the menu is meat-laden and I still love it. Perhaps it was the perfectly sunny weekday afternoon that made it so enticing. We were able to get to the window seats before the crowd grew. And when I say window I mean garage-door, open-to-the-breeze, as-if-you-were-sitting-outside kind of window. If you can get there early enough to snag one of those tables, do it. It'll be worth your while. Promise.


Happy Hour at Southland Whiskey Kitchen runs from 3:30 to six everyday. They've got a pretty long list of food options, but if you are a vegetarian--like me--be sure to let them know. Even the mac and cheese has a bacon breadcrumb topping.



We started with drinks. It's a whiskey bar so I played the part. But I did pick the sweetest thing I could find on the happy hour drink menu. Or maybe a mint julep is sweeter. Now I suppose I will have to go back to taste test the two. I ordered the Southern Punch. It is peachy, but good good good.


First of the food items to arrive was the chopped salad. It's a Smoke Master Chop Salad which means--if you aren't a vegetarian--you'll enjoy the chopped romaine, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, red pepper, and smoked cheddar with a choice of chicken or pork. For me, it came without and I loved every bite. The cheddar chunks were a little too much, I suppose...not excessive, just more than I could finish. I will definitely order this again.


Next to arrive was a plate of fried chicken and collard greens. I didn't taste either, of course, but took note that they were both very well-liked. In fact, the deliciousness of the chicken might have lead to a truncated happy hour adventure. We were in a great neighborhood for multiple stops, but after having such great eats at the first place...we didn't last as long as planned.


The macaroni and cheese was just a side and for $2.50 the serving seemed just right. I am super thankful that our server was paying attention when we started to order. She recognized that I was meat-free right away and gave me all sorts of warning. You see, the mac and cheese is usually topped with bacon breadcrumbs. I love a good breadcrumb topping, but this was one I was ready to go without. The mac and cheese was thick and  had a little bit of spiciness to it. Nothing extreme, of course, just a little kick.


Last to arrive to our table was the plate of cornbread. We ordered this after learning that the hush puppies were more than just cornmeal. The cornbread was still moist (which is often hard to find) and served with a butter that might have had a little honey mixed in. I couldn't find any mention of it on the happy hour menu and forgot to ask, but definitely noticed some sweet qualities to the mix. I suppose, though, it could have been the cornbread. Either way, there was a presence of honey.

What intrigued me the most--and something that I didn't notice until the end of our visit--was that they offer flights. Whiskey flights. And more than just one. I sent a text (with picture included) to my husband almost immediately. And, I think, he--almost immediately--became jealous of my whereabouts. We will definitely go back. And I'm guessing it will be in the near future.

Food: Meets (or maybe I should say Meats)
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Exceeds (especially on a sunny day)
Value: Exceeds

-b


Southland Whiskey Kitchen on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. You had me at fried chicken and mac n' cheese!!!!

    The bf loves whiskey so we'll definitely try this place out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete