Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Xico

3715 SE Division
Happy Hour: 5 - 7 PM


If I were a meat eater, I might have LOVED this place. But I'm not. And I didn't. That doesn't mean, however, that I won't try it again. As soon as I see that they've added more to the list of options (for both the happy hour menu and the regular dinner menu), I'll be back. Portland is a very vegetarian-friendly city. Vegan-friendly, too. Maybe my expectations have been set too high? (I don't really think so.) Please, Xico--if you're reading this--consider offering more meat-free options. There are a lot of us out here and we would appreciate it.

What little I tasted was good--spicy, but good. We had a dish of the spiced peanuts and the Totopos con Chile. 


The peanuts were roasted and dusted with the same chile, lime, and salt mix that I encountered on my honeymoon while enjoying freshly cut coconut. It's good, but you have to be ready for it. Seriously, you have to keep our eye on the bowl. If you're not careful you might pick up the peanut that's nearly completely covered with chile powder. It's great in moderation but could do damage--to some of us--when too much gets in at once.


I wasn't prepared for the next plate to arrive. I had assumed chips and salsa. Wrong. Salsa and chips. But not the same salsa I have grown accustomed to. This was chile de arbol salsa. Spicy, yes. With a little smokiness to it.  And messy--as it was coating every chip. The cotija cheese and crema lightened the spice just enough. I probably could have used an extra napkin.


The margarita listed on the happy hour menu went perfectly with the two dishes we had ordered. House-made margaritas are always so refreshing. I'm just thankful that I haven't learned to dislike tequila the way so many others have.

I'm hoping for the opportunity to revisit Xico in the near future. I guess we'll see...

Food: Nearly Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


Xico on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment