Monday, April 08, 2013

Tasty n Alder

580 SW 12th Avenue
Happy Hour: 2 - 5:30 PM, daily


Another Tasty location. Bright idea. Now that there are two, there should be less of a wait to get in, right? I don't really think so...but it's fun to hope.

I've only been to the Tasty locations (including Toro Bravo) a handful of times. With even that little experience, though, I would have to say that they are all worth the wait. And maybe even worth the price. (Remember, going for Happy Hour--or what they call the Mid Day Menu--is a most excellent way to avoid a hefty bill. It's part of why we do what we do...)

We stopped in at Tasty n Alder during Spring Break. We were the last to fit at the bar, and therefore the last to take advantage of the Happy Hour discounts (before any other seats opened up, that is). Happy Hour starts early at Tasty n Alder, so if you want a guaranteed seat you might want to plan ahead. (And if you end up with a wait time that is longer than you are willing to wait, there are plenty of places within walking distance to try. Just don't forget to come back another time.)


I love the big glass bowl salads that they serve at Tasty n Sons, Tasty n Alder, and Toro Bravo. It's one of their many signatures, I've decided. The Radiccio Salad is beyond delicious even without the lardons. It's seven dollars--even during the Mid Day Menu discounts--but can easily serve two or more.


After a quick inquiry about the exact contents of the hush puppies, we ordered a set. They come three to a plate and are just four dollars. I can't be certain that they are always served piping hot, but these were definitely as fresh as fresh can be. And the herbed whipped butter added just the right amount of flavor.



To drink, we each tried one of the seven dollar cocktails. I was impressed with both and will have a hard time choosing between them in the future. The Tasty Sour is made with vermouth, a multitude of bitters, and a little fresh citrus. And the Alder Club Cocktail mixes gin with combier. Both with very different flavors, but both perfectly sip-able during a Mid Day Meal.


Before leaving, we opted to end things right with an order of the Bruleed Banana Panna Cotta. Any Happy Hour menu--even if they don't necessarily call it Happy Hour--that ends with dessert options deserves extra credit. I love a discount. I love dessert. So it's natural that I would love love LOVE a discounted dessert. This is one that will have me coming back for more. Panna Cotta is fancy, yes. But this one--with its bruleed banana and that crisp sugar coating--was ridiculously delicious. I want more. And I want it now.

Food: Exceeds
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


Tasty n Alder on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. om nom nom nom :)
    Looks great! I think it's realy tasty! I would like to try it !

    paper writings


    ReplyDelete