Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fire On The Mountain

3443 NE 57th Avenue
Happy Hour: 3 - 6 PM (discounts on beer only) and 11 to close


I am not a beer drinker. I just haven't grown to enjoy the taste. Believe me, I've tried. I actually have a three-step plan. I have yet to successfully complete step one, but I have a three-step plan. I've tried twice now to get started. I suppose it's time to try again. Here's the plan. Please let me know if you have suggestions for improvement.
  1. Finish an entire glass of Totally Radler, the beer and lemonade mix available at Hopworks. 
  2. Down a pint of Ruby at any McMenamins location. 
  3. Repeat steps one and two until I no longer make a sour face.

Having not known ahead of time that the afternoon Happy Hour discounts at the Fremont location of Fire on the Mountain only apply to beer, I did my best to fake that I actually like it. They had a special berry cream ale available on nitro last week and I took at least two sips. Two sips. Thankfully, I hadn't ordered a full pint. But I did waste the last of the sample by pushing it to the far side of the table.

Instead, I went full price. I ordered a Caipirinha. It's hard to say and apparently not as easy to make as I had once thought. Either that or I am just too used to the ones made on Isla Mujeres that I enjoyed so much when we were there for our honeymoon. My guess is that the ratio was off that day...or there was something unintended for the glass in with the mix. It had a chemically aftertaste. Weird, I know.

Even though my first two attempts at a beverage were less than successful, I continued on. There were two of us at the table with time to kill as we waited for our dates to arrive. We ordered some fried mushrooms (stuffed with blue cheese) and a plate of sweet potato fries.


The mushrooms were SO not good for me but at the same time deliciously addicting. And if I didn't eat them right away, they were likely to get soggy. After enjoying two to many, I cut myself off.


The sweet potato fries were quite enjoyable (as they almost always are) and were a great thing to snack on while waiting for the rest of the party to arrive.



Both the fried mushrooms and sweet potato fries are available at a discount during their late night happy hour, starting at 11 PM. And while the discounts during the afternoon happy hour only apply to beer, Fire on the Mountain does offer daily specials. So when the boys arrived, we benefited from Tuesday's deal-of-the-day on pizza. You can save two dollars on a small (which isn't all that small) or three on a large (which is actually larger than large). Ordering one of each leaves little room at the table but does allow for a lot of leftovers and a fairly substantial lunch the next day.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets (but next time I'll stick to wine)
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


Fire on the Mountain on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment