Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Mextiza

2103 N Killingsworth St.
Happy Hour 5-6 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday and 9-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday
http://mextiza.com/


My husband wanted to try somewhere new for Happy Hour, and after looking at the Mextiza menu online, I thought there were tons of items that sounded delicious. Once we arrived, we realized that it was attached to another restaurant, The Old Gold (which I have only heard of because my co-blogger previously reviewed it). There was lots of outdoor seating for both places, so we chose to sit outside since the weather was so nice. Service was good throughout our meal, although it got a little slower at the end as things got busier.


Once we got there, we each decided to order the Margarita Feliz ($5 for his, $3 for my alcohol-free version). This was one delicious margarita! You could tell that it was made with freshly squeezed juice, not from some pre-made mix. I really enjoyed it, and I also appreciated that I got a discount on my drink!


 I’m not exaggerating when I say that my husband and I ordered almost every food item on the Happy Hour menu. Everything sounded so good, and we were not disappointed with our choices. We wanted to use Happy Hour as dinner, and we suspected that these were going to be small plates.


I chose three items. Totopos con Salsa ($3) was a fancy version of homemade chips, topped with crumbled cheese and three types of spicy salsa. My favorite was the thickest one, which had roasted chilies. Picadita Con Chile Dulce ($3) was a very interesting dish—it had black beans, peppers and a soft cheese layer. The Morisqueta ($3) was a corn dumpling that had chicken inside. I enjoyed all three of my choices, although at first I felt like I didn’t quite have enough food due to the small portions.


My husband chose the Calamar En Cheleajo ($5) which was probably the most unique squid dish we have ever encountered (and not for those who don’t like to be reminded that they are actually eating squid). The squid was sautéed in a spicy sauce, and we both really enjoyed the interesting flavors. He also had the Dorodita ($3), which was a small shredded pork taco, and the Tostadita ($5), which had shredded pork and potatoes. He enjoyed all of his dishes as well. He noted that they all had a strong chipotle flavor which he liked a lot (he smokes red jalapeno peppers in his smoker to make his own chipotle powder, so he is somewhat of an expert).


The only real letdown of the night was the homemade dessert. I chose the Chocolate Tomatillo Pudding Cake ($7), which was supposed to be flavored with espresso, chocolate and tomatillos. It came with a choice of homemade ice cream or whipped cream. Obviously, I chose the ice cream, but this proved to be a disastrous mistake. The ice cream was no good. You know how when ice cream gets old it gets those weird, crunchy ice crystals? That’s how this ice cream was. It was a big disappointment. The actual cake was good, but nothing too special (it basically tasted like a brownie).


Finally, it should be noted that this Happy Hour is no bargain. Our bill was about $50 with tip, so we could have gotten a regular dinner instead. Yes, we did order a lot of different items (but we had to in order to fill up). I would suggest using this place for a true Happy Hour instead—just order drinks and a little snack.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Exceeds
Service: Meets
Ambiance Meets
Value: Does not Meet


--E

Mextiza on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment