Monday, July 29, 2013

Paley's Place

1204 NW 21st Avenue
Happy Hour: 5:30 - 6:30, Monday through Thursday AND
5:00 - 6:30, Friday through Sunday
www.paleysplace.net

After having had the chance to meet Chef Vitaly Paley, I knew I wanted to try Paley's Place before the summer ended. It is said to be one of Portland's best restaurants AND they have a beautiful patio out front with seating that is so inviting it practically calls you by name.


Paley's Place offers happy hour every day of the week with longer hours on the weekends (almost unusual, I know). That makes it the perfect spot to stop at while shopping the popular blocks of NW 23rd and 21st. They have food large enough to make into meal or just small enough to curb your hunger. They offer just a taste of what's available during the dinner hour, which is enough to make me want to go back for more.


We started by ordering cocktails. They offer discounts on wine and beer plus a couple of key cocktails. I ordered the Moscow Mule--perfect for a hot day--and across the table was the Hibiscus Cooler. Both are just five dollars during happy hour. From what I read on the menu, it looks as though these are definitely summer offerings. Both of the beers listed (at just three dollars each) were summer ales.

The Happy Hour food menu offers all sort of daily specials. That's great because it means that they are using what's in season but it's not so great if you are likely to fall in love with a certain flavor and then want to order it again and again. It's tough when menus change. I know.

Most of the daily specials included some sort of fancy meat. That's perfect for meat eaters, but left me with just a couple of options. I selected two--one for me and one to share.



The fries were a great table item and came with the most delicious mustard aioli. It was all so delicious that it quickly became dangerously addicting. It's good that they provide the portion control by serving a limited number of fries and the aioli in a small ramekin. If not, I could possibly have taken things just a little too far.



The bruschetta of the day came topped with Fromage Fort and fancy red peppers. I can't say for sure what types of cheese were in the Fromage Fort mix, but I loved every bite. The peppers were a perfect pairing and the bread was just grilled enough to make the combined flavors that much better.


Across the table was the summer salad. For that day, it meant a salad that included spinach, strawberries, and hazelnuts along with an ample amount of goat cheese.

Paley's Place is most definitely on my list for repeat visits. I would love to return for Happy Hour but am also eager to try the dinner menu. It's fancy--which can mean pricey--but they offer most of the entrees as a full or half plate. That, in my opinion, is perfect. It means that I am far more likely to make it back in the near, near future because it no longer has to wait for a special occasion.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Exceeds
Value: Meets

-b

Paley's Place on Urbanspoon

Paley's Place on Foodio54

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review! I've been wanting to go to Paley's Place forever but I'm a little intimidated by the prices. Didn't even know they had a happy hour, so now I may finally go. I hear they make the best lemon drop in town.

    ReplyDelete