Monday, July 29, 2013

Wildwood

1221 NW 21st Avenue
Happy Hour: 4:30 - 6:30, Monday through Friday
wildwoodrestaurant.com

I should be at Happy Hour right now. It's beautiful outside. But, no. Instead, I have grounded myself from all happy hour-ing until I catch up on my blogging homework. And since I know I will be hitting some new spots while at a conference in Bend starting TOMORROW, I need to keep typing.

Happy Hour during the summertime is blissful. Sitting outside in the sun, sipping on a refreshing cocktail, and knowing that I won't need to make dinner when I get home is summer at its best. Finding new outdoor happy hour establishments is one of my main targets this summer and I came across a great spot last week. It's not new, but it's new to me.


Wildwood is located on the corner of NW 21st and Overton. They have a substantially-sized bar and plenty of outdoor seating, all located far enough from the street that you won't be overwhelmed by exhaust. We arrived shortly after happy hour started to find many open seats. Later in the evening, though, it might not be as easy to get a spot outside.

Service will impress you either way, I am sure. They were quick to check on us, welcomed our questions, and did their best to make recommendations after having run out of what I'd ordered.


We started with cocktails and a small bowl of truffled popcorn. It was quite small, but that is usually the case with anything truffled. The flavor was strong and more than satisfying.



I was so very pleased to see that they had Happy Hour cocktails. So often it seems that restaurants only offer discounts on food. And when they do offer discounts on beverages, it's just beer and wine and nothing of much quality. This place is different. They have a long list of cocktails to choose from and none over five dollars. Beer and wine are discounted, too, with prices between two and five dollars.


I was a little disappointed to learn that they were out of potato croquettes. I had had my eyes on them long before walking into the restaurant. My next choice was the fennel and arugula salad which came with those super tasty bright green olives that I have been learning to love since early fall thanks to some close family friends. The salad was dressed in a a lemony vinaigrette and had plenty of shaved fennel.


Across the table was a burger. A pricey burger. With cheese, it came to eleven dollars. Fries were included and it was sizable, but a bit steep compared to other establishments (some within blocks of this place).




We ended the meal with something not listed on the Happy Hour menu. Since we were celebrating a birthday, it seemed right to taste a little bit of everything. Thankfully, we could do that without ordering one of each. At Wildwood, they offer a plate with tiny bites. There are five to the plate, and they rotate depending on what's in season (and how creative the pastry chef is feeling, I assume). Our five bites were perfect for summer but a bit too crusty in my opinion. I think it's just because they were so small. A tiny tart loses the perfect ratio when downsized. I still enjoyed every bite. I just wanted more of the middle, that's all. I suppose they'll all be different next time anyway.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Nearly Meets (blame it on the burger)

-b

Wildwood Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment