Monday, August 05, 2013

Portello Winecafe - Bend, Oregon

2754 NW Crossing Drive
Bend, Oregon
Happy Hour: 4 - 6 PM, Tuesday through Friday
www.portellowinecafe.com



The Portello Winecafe makes me want to open my own business. It is ridiculously charming, they offer all sorts of discounts on food and wine, and they have a full calendar of events including live local musicians every Saturday night. Happy Hour is offered from 4 to 6 Tuesday through Friday but if you mistakenly walk in the door on a Monday you will not be disappointed. On Mondays, Portello pours wine by the glass for just $5 between four and nine. I find all of those discounts to be awfully inviting.


There were four of us in Bend for a conference last week and we did our best to hit up as many happy hours as possible. Portello was one of my favorites and one that I will remember when I am back in the area again. They offer all sorts of great snacks and discounts on wine (red, white, and bubbles).




I was distracted by the racks of wine available but chose to stick with the happy hour pricing and ordered a glass of the special red. Five dollars is a pretty fair price for a glass of wine during happy hour. Some might say that it's not really much of a discount but when comparing quantities, I'd say that this one was in good standing.


With four of us eating, it was easy to share plates and taste a lot of what the kitchen had to offer. I didn't have any bites of the meatballs (of course!) but understand that they were more than delectable. The salami--that came as one of the choices when ordering the Portello Board--was also a big hit.


I gave most of my attention to the Crostini. It was topped with roasted butternut squash and chevre, just a drop or two of maple syrup, and some chopped pecans. The combination was perfect and is something that I might just try to replicate during the fall.


The fresh Caprese Stack was also a popular item at the table. It's one of my favorite things to order (or make at home) this time of year as tomatoes are finally starting to ripen.



The Portello Board seems to be an easy fix whenever you are in the winecafe, whether it's happy hour or not. The two-item plate is available for five dollars during happy hour but you can upgrade to a larger quantity. There is a long list of meats and cheeses that I assume change over time. The combinations are yours to choose and are all served with toasted baguette and a mix of olives.


All of the great deals on both food and drink were made better by the outstanding service provided at Portello. The servers are quick to greet all customers, came with an offering of bright green Castelvetrano olives to munch on while we perused the menu, and answered all of my questions (which usually add up quickly). I was impressed from start to finish.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Portello Wine Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment