Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Cheese Bar

6031 SE Belmont Street
Happy Hour Wishlist


Mmmmmmmmm cheese. I know what you're thinking. I know because I am thinking it, too. How can anyone decide on a cheese when faced with so many new and flavorful options each and every time you walk into The Cheese Bar? There's really no way to answer. It's more about your strategy from this day forward. Do we always trust the server? Work your way through the cheese offerings alphabetically? Make decisions based on price points alone? Either way, know that without an official happy hour this place still makes everyone happy. I know it makes me happy. Happy enough to want to return on a near weekly basis.


Early in the summer, I ran across a recipe for Burrata. Oh, I was excited. They had pictured the finished product in such a way that made me sound just a smidge like Veruca Salt with all of my demands to have it NOW. Finding it NOW was a little harder than I had imagined. Sure, I could make a special request at the grocery store. But I wanted to know where I could get it NOW. The Cheese Bar is that place. They have assured me that orders come in weekly, but finding it NOW isn't always a guarantee. Apparently, there are many other Portlanders searching for that same fresh and creamy Mozzerella. Which makes sense since once I first heard of the stuff, I've seen it listed on menus everywhere. Not to worry, though. If they are out on Thursday, there is probably another shipment arriving on Friday.



If you aren't just in to purchase specialty cheeses, please do sit and enjoy your time. You can opt for one of many cheese boards or go all out with a plate of pate. They offer wine by the bottle or by the glass and have a number of bottled beers available either at your table or to take home. There are also small snacks to sample and a few full-sized plates to enjoy if you are more interested in making it a meal.


With only a few options listed for wines by the glass, we recommend that you purchase a bottle. That's our plan from now until forever. It is the more financially responsible way to go, anyway. And it's not as if you HAVE to finish it while you are at The Cheese Bar. You can take what's left home.



As I so often do, we asked for recommendations when selecting the three cheeses that would be served alongside a dish of chutney and (what turned out to be never-ending) crostini. Ordering the Cheese Board--as opposed to one of four other cheese-specific boards--meant we were getting what the cheesemonger had selected. I appreciated his selections but will gladly go in again knowing that I might not have the same three tastes. And the more often I go, the more likely I am to work my way through all they have to offer. Now I just need to decide on a strategy to get through the more than 200 rotating selections. It's going to be tough, but I am up for the challenge.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets (even without the typical happy hour discounts)

-b



Cheese Bar on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. This was an accidental find for me and I was glad I found it! Love the idea of a cheese bar. In fact, I need to go back!

    ReplyDelete