Sunday, January 12, 2014

Church

2600 NE Sandy Blvd
Happy Hour: 4 - 7 PM
www.churchbarpdx.com



It's Sunday. Did you go to Church? I'm honestly not sure how many "plays" on the name of this bar can be made without crossing the line. I love the concept. I think that they can do it up just a bit more--maybe teeny-tiny cups of wine and communion wafers in lieu of bar nuts--but not to the point that is becomes offensive. They do have a confession booth/photo booth, after all. But no pews. And I was expecting pews.


Happy Hour at Church is offered from 4 to 7. They've got got a few discounts on drinks--including the punch of the day--and plenty of food. We were sharing that night, so we ordered the hush puppies, a plate of mac and cheese, and the goat cheese spread and bread.



The hush puppies tasted like the county fair. That might not make sense to everyone...but, if you can imagine the combination of funnel cakes and fry bread AND elephant ears, you'll be more likely to understand. They weren't like any other hush puppies I've ever had. They were definitely more doughy than corn-like, that's for sure. These were made of a blue cornmeal and a little fresh corn AND were served with Voodoo Sauce. The Voodoo Sauce...that's something that they do oh SO WELL.


The Mac and Cheese was a bit smokey and, like always, made me question the ingredients. (Every brown bit becomes bacon when the smokiness is present...or so I think.) There were just enough breadcrumbs on top to make the texture just right.



The goat cheese spread was warm and delicious. There were caramelized onions hidden in the mix and grapes. I love grapes. And I love cheese. And I loved every bite of this dip. I would definitely eat it again and again.


The food outweighed the drinks, in my opinion. But--since the punch is a new creation daily--that might not always be the case. The rest of the menu is quite intriguing. I suppose we will have to make a return visit to try all that remains on the menu.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Nearly Meets
Service: Meets (order at the bar)
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Church on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment