Monday, January 20, 2014

Famous Dave's BBQ

9911 NE Cascades Parkway
Happy Hour: 3 - 6 PM & 9 - close
www.famousdaves.com/Portland

I usually try to avoid homogenized restaurants. I call them homogenized. Maybe you refer to them as chains? They're so prominent when you aren't right in the middle of Portland. Cascade Station is most definitely NOT right in the middle of Portland. (An IKEA would never fit in the middle of a city.) And there seems to be a serious lack of quality restaurants to choose from out there. But I still need to shop, and sometimes that means stopping for a quick bite to eat.

Famous Dave's BBQ is everywhere. There have got to be hundreds. Currently in Oregon, there are just three. I have a feeling that number is going to continue to grow.


At Famous Dave's, you can enjoy happy hour in the bar from 3 to 6 and again from 9 to close. They've got discounts on drinks--just the basics--but offer daily drink specials, too. The food menu contains a number of meaty options and plenty of fried varieties. They also have a short list of sides that aren't specific to happy hour but are priced to match.


We were there on a Sunday. Bloody Mary Sunday. The mix is made with Devil's Spit--one of their spiciest barbeque sauces--which caused me to be a bit more cautious with each sip. It was good, but it took me a long time to finish it.


Since I wasn't interested in ordering a basket of BBQ Buddies, a plate of Chicken Tenders, or their Famous Chili Cheese Fries, I was left to choose from a long list of fried foods. To balance things out, I also ordered the chopped salad off of the regular menu. I liked the salad the most.


The Fried Pickles were definitely more fried than pickle. The batter was too heavy and left each finished pickle chip disguised. I like fried foods, but I would prefer more food with my fried next time.



When in the mood, BBQ chips are my go to. Usually they are straight from a bag. A bag that sits on the shelf--potentially for months. BBQ chips at a BBQ establishment should be ten times as good, right? Apparently not. At least not this time. Maybe it's not always the case. They seemed dry and bit hard, and were a little too thick without being crunchy. These chips did, however, serve as a great vehicle for transporting tastes of all the different BBQ sauces. I had such a hard time deciding that I worked my way through the set of six at least three times.


I wasn't exactly impressed with Famous Dave's. I am a vegetarian, so it makes sense. I probably should have avoided it in the first place. It would be a great place for a meat eater. Especially a meat eater who wants to watch the game (whatever game) on one of the many screens in the bar. I am not really that person. So I will probably not return. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Food: Nearly Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Famous Dave's BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment