Tuesday, February 18, 2014

East Glisan Pizza Lounge

8001 NE Glisan Street
Happy Hour Wishlist
eastglisan.squarespace.com

It's going to be hard driving past East Glisan Pizza Lounge as often as I do. Luckily, I no longer live two blocks away. If that were the case, I'd be in serious trouble. This place would have (and probably still will) become my go to for those nights when I just don't want to cook. And--during the school year--those nights happen more often than I'd like to admit.

East Glisan Pizza Lounge is pretty new and it shows. It's shiny. And there are some kinks that still need to be worked out. I trust that they will improve communication between the bar and the servers, that they will develop a rhythm in the kitchen to keep up with how busy they've already become, and that they will take our suggestion and offer happy hour.

We arrived just in time last Friday to find every single table taken. If only we had waited another hour or so, we wouldn't have had to wait for as long as we did. It seemed as though the entire restaurant had filled and then emptied as one. Or, at least, close to it. The wait wasn't awful, just lengthy. And we were HUNGRY.


After ordering a couple of drinks at the bar, we worked our way to the long counter that lines the front window. Either they are still waiting on additional bar stools OR this is the designated waiting area. I had a hard time deciding on a beverage but ended up choosing the Rosemary Gin Fizz. At East Glisan, they've got a full bar, a few house favorites, wine by the glass or by the bottle, and a rotating selection of draft beer. Even without a discount, the prices aren't bad at all. The cocktails are all priced between seven and eight dollars and even the highest priced glass of wine is only $12.

Once we sat down, we were ready to order. And order we did. (It's dangerous going out to eat after a long day at work AND an excessively long workout. I was well past ready to eat!) We opted for an appetizer of chickpea fritters, a chopped salad to split, and a small pizza each. We requested one large pizza with half of this and half of that but were told no. I'm hoping that will change before too long. It's definitely something that people expect.



The chickpea fritters were crazy delicious but also crazy hot. And I was crazy hungry...so I burned my tongue. Twice. The sauce also carried some heat, but of another variety. These fritters were served with a spicy basil aioli. For six dollars, this item was an excellent starting point and the perfect plate to share.

Made with a mix of greens, cheese, salumi, Mama Lil's peppers, sun dried tomatoes, and tossed with an herb vinaigrette, the chopped salad was a great veggie option and fit nicely in the flavor lineup between the chickpea fritters and the pizza. We ordered ours with the salumi on the side so that we could share. It was a little smaller than I was expecting so next time I might order one all to myself.



Picking the perfect pizza was not easy given the number of veggie options. (And that didn't even include the make-your-own combinations.) I ordered the Broccoli Rapini--made with provolone and topped with lemon--but still want a taste of the mushroom pizza, made with mushrooms, fontina, cream, and roasted garlic. The four cheese pizza also sounds like something I could finish in one sitting. And my husband enjoyed the pepperoni and pesto pie.

I'm excited to have another pizza place in the neighborhood and am eager to get back and try more of what they have to offer.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Nearly Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

East Glisan Pizza Lounge on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog! I just shared this with a few friends. I don't get out or drink a lot lately because I have a 7 month old but I was glad to pass this along!

    ReplyDelete