Saturday, February 08, 2014

Life of Pie

3632 N Williams Avenue
Happy Hour: 11 - 6, daily
www.lifeofpiepizza.com


It didn't take long at all for me to return to Life of Pie after the foodbloggers event in December. I already knew that I loved their pizza, that kale salad, the fact that their happy hour lasts from eleven to six every day of the week, and that you can get an over-sized Margherita Pizza and a glass of house red wine for $8. It's more than ideal. And it makes me want to stop buying groceries.


I almost can't believe that happy hour lasts as long as it does. The discounts are limited to beer and wine and the Margherita Pie, but that's all I really need. That, and the kale salad. It's full price...but worth every penny.


With just enough lemony tang, the kale and arugula salad ($7) is one that I will order again and again. It's got great texture but isn't too heavy with extras like some salads can be. This one is green enough to make me feel good about the rest of my meal. I love a good cheese and nut-filled salad, but to start with all that prior to a pile of fresh mozzarella can sometimes be too much. At Life of Pie, they also offer a more traditional green salad ($7 or $4) and a Caesar salad ($9 or $5) in sizes both large and small.

Everything about the pizza at Life of Pie is fresh. Hand-tossed dough, local meats and produce, mozzarella made in-house, and their wood-fired oven make it more than obvious that this place is putting their all into every pie.


I will always order the Margherita--because I love the marinara and the mozzarella--but appreciate the other flavor combinations available. I enjoyed the seasonal mushroom and truffle oil pizza on my last visit and would love to try another bite or two of the caramelized onion and goat cheese pizza. My co-bloggers were most impressed with the fennel sausage pizza topped with Mama Lil's peppers, but my husband couldn't resist the meatball and ricotta combination. They've got plenty of toppings to choose from if you prefer to make your own, and then there's the featured pie--currently a combination of bacon, goat cheese, and oven-roasted leeks.

The menu at Life of Pie includes more than just pizza and salads. They've got a number of appetizers--including a delicious plate of Arancini stuffed with both ricotta and mozzarella, spaghetti--on its own or topped with either fennel sausage or house-made meatballs, and dessert.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Exceeds

-b


Life of Pie on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment