Sunday, April 13, 2014

Block + Tackle

3113 SE Division Street
Happy Hour: 5 - 6 PM, Wednesday through Friday


There's nothing bad about Happy Hour at Block + Tackle. The food menu has tiered pricing--something I'm always in favor of--starting as low as a buck. Discounts apply to drinks, too, with $2 tall boys, $3 well drinks, and wine for only five dollars. That, and you can sit anywhere in the restaurant--not just at the bar. But Happy Hour at Black + Tackle is only available for three days each week. Three days? That's a little too limited, in my opinion. I still enjoyed everything I ate. And every sip, too. I just wish I could have done the same on a Sunday or Monday.

There aren't a lot of vegetarian options on the food menu, but my pescatarian friends and family would LOVE all that they've got to offer. For a very small price, you can get oyster shooters, clam chowder, seafood cocktail, clams or calamari. I enjoyed the deviled eggs ($1) and a small salad ($3) but watched as a big bowl of chowder ($4) was happily consumed.


The deviled eggs are fairly basic with a sprinkling of paprika and a few small rings of sliced chives. It's just a dollar for two halves, piped full and resting on just enough filling that they don't slip and slide across the plate.



The salad was a mix of farmer's greens topped with carrots and fried capers. (This is the third time I've come across fried capers in the past month or two. Apparently, it's the new thing. All three, however, have been completely different in taste and texture.) The salad was a small plate--something I wouldn't want to share--but seemed right, given the price.


Although I didn't taste it, the clam chowder seemed to be the most impressive thing at the table. It, too, was topped with chives but also a sprinkling of oyster crackers and plenty of BACON. I guess bacon makes everything better. I'll have to head back to Block + Tackle when my parents are in town to get a second opinion--they know chowder--but for now, I'm going to believe that it's a bowl you'll finish (no matter how many other stops you've got planned on your happy hour outing).



Since the menu was last updated online, they've added Sangria to the list of discounted drinks. For only five dollars, you can enjoy the fortified drink of the day. I'm not sure how often they switch between red and white, but based on the description it sounds as though they rotate between fruits based on the season.

As SE Division grows and grows, it'll be fun to see how restaurants change. I'm hoping that the first change includes a longer workweek--and therefore more opportunity for Happy Hour--at Block + Tackle.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


Block and Tackle on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment