Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Double Barrel

2002 SE Division Street
Happy Hour: 2 - 7 PM, daily

Double Barrel is a bar. Not a restaurant, but a bar. They do, however, have some pretty appealing snacks AND a whole lotta discounts during happy hour. It's so typical for bars to offer nothing but fried foods. At Double Barrel, you can get whiskey grilled asparagus (topped with bacon), lil' smokies (that aren't straight out of a package), and the Single Barrel Burger for just five bucks. They do have hushpuppies and fried pickles...but again, not from a package.

 

Happy Hour at Double Barrel lasts from 2 - 7 daily. That's a good five hours in which you can enjoy a few snacks--maybe even enough to call it dinner--and a discounted drink. They're located on Division near the "Seven Corners" intersection at 21st. Parking is getting more and more difficult as Division expands but it's not impossible on this stretch of the street.


Discounts are offered on beer, wine, and well drinks but they've got a number of specialty cocktails that are worth a little consideration, too. With cocktails topping out at $8 each, it won't break the bank to try something new. I opted for the Ransom Note. Made with Ransom Vodka--hence, the name--plenty of ginger (something I'm loving more and more thanks to the many Moscow Mules I've encountered) lychee nectar, and soda, this was a drink meant for summertime (but will still be just as delicious when dreaming of the sun on one of those dreary days in December).



As we perused the menu, a number of food items made their way from the kitchen to the bar...and the tables beyond it. It made the decision-making process pretty easy...but also had me wanting a little bit of everything. In the end, we settled on the pimento dip with pretzels, an order of hushpuppies, and the lil' smokies.


Although I enjoyed the hushpuppies most, my husband was especially impressed by the lil' smokies. He LOVES lil' smokies but doesn't get to enjoy them nearly as often as he'd like. (Perhaps I am to blame. Maybe because I don't eat meat.) I was expecting these to look just like the ones found at the grocery store. Boy, was I wrong. I don't know if they make them in-house or special-order them from a local source, but I do know that they are something we'll be going back for. Probably fairly soon.


The hushpuppies at Double Barrel are stuffed with corn and jalapeƱo and come with an adequate amount of honey butter. We didn't get silverware right away--they were busy--but that didn't stop me from biting into these while they were still fresh and warm.


The pimento dip is just one of three dips available during the day. It is, however, the only one that comes with a discount. Both the vegetable and the crab dip are served with a baguette. They're just a couple dollars more than the happy hour priced pimento dip, so if you want something other than the peppery cheesy goodness melted to perfection and served with freshly warmed pretzels, you should probably pay the extra buck or two. Growing up on jarred pimento spread and loving every bite, I was eager to give this version a go. And go it did. Eating that much cheese in one sitting is probably not recommended. In the future, I'll be sure to share more with those around me.

Service was a little slow at first--like I said, they were busy--but we were taken care of once things had settled down. Sitting at the bar--which is easy to do as it wraps around the whole place--gave us an advantage, I am sure.

It's more than just food and drinks at Double Barrel. They've got shuffleboard, plenty of pinball, and I'm pretty sure I walked past a dartboard at one point. That's a lot to offer. And I'm sure that's not the end of it.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


Double Barrel on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment