Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Double Dragon

1235 SE Division Street
Happy Hour: 3 - 6, Monday through Friday



I still can't figure out why they call this happy hour. At Double Dragon, it is anything but. Yes, there are discounts. And, yes they have a long list of cocktails that you'll want to explore. But this place does not offer the typical happy hour. Instead, they are offering a few bucks off...DINNER.


During Spring Break, I often--okay, always--plan back-to-back happy hours. Sometimes we even hit up three in a row. And when we do, it's really important to plan what you're going to consume. I didn't realize that what I was going to get at Double Dragon was going to be so filling. And also too delicious to not finish.




I ordered a bowl of red curry tofu. During happy hour, it's only six bucks. And it's huge. I loved the flavors, the veggies, and the giant chunks of tofu. This is something that I will eat again. But next time I will go in knowing that it's dinner. And because I appreciate a good discount, I'll eat my dinner early.


My husband opted for a Banh Mi sandwich. They have five to choose from on the menu but not a one is included in the discounts during happy hour. They are, however, reasonably priced. My husband enjoyed the pulled pork ($8) with its overnight rub and eight-hour braise. He also LOVED that it had as much pulled pork as it did. (Seriously, and not just because he has to wait until we go out to eat meat.) There were a few veggies mixed in too. They top all of the Banh Mi sandwiches with pickled carrots and daikon, aioli, and jalapeƱo.


They have a number of cocktails available at Double Dragon but only the well drinks and tallboys are discounted during happy hour. I opted to go fancy, despite my usual frugality, and ordered a Singapore Sling. It was perfect for the sunshiny day (even though it wasn't quite warm enough for us to sit outdoors).


Food: Exceeds
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets (order at the bar)
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Exceeds

-b


Double Dragon on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment